One thing is absolutely true and that is the internet is ever growing and from a commercial point of view it certainly the place to generate new business from search engines. SEO is one of the best ways to accomplish success online and the long term benefits of quality SEO are very evident, however PPC can also deliver some good benefits to online companies as well if done correctly.
Fundamentally speaking if you have a successful SEO strategy in place which is gaining you good traffic then you can also benefit from looking at developing a good PPC strategy as well. People tend to think you either need one or the other and that doing both is a waste of money, however this is not the case and you could be missing out at some good online traffic by not exploring both PPC and SEO.
A Few Figures
The figures of what traffic is drawn by SEO and PPC do vary depending on what study you look at though we can safely say that roughly 70% of traffic comes via the search engines organic results and the other 30% comes from PPC results. These figures clearly indicate that SEO is essential for your business to succeed however they also clearly convey that if you are not looking at PPC at all then you are giving away a good 30% of potential traffic.
If you simply engage in SEO for your business then you are missing out on at least 30% of the traffic which when you think about it does not make good commercial sense. Why would a business give up on 30% of potential traffic? It makes no sense but that is what countless businesses are doing when they do not even look into PPC as an option.
Furthermore it makes perfect sense to help maximise your brand exposure by having your website and products placed in prominent positions in the search engines for keywords that your SEO has not been able to gain a page 1 rank for yet.
SEO and PPC can be utilised together for example you can run a PPC campaign on a few keywords to see the effectiveness and their popularity by having them on page 1. If the results are positive then you can focus your SEO on those keywords with first hand knowledge of the keywords being popular.
So for example if you have a football shirt retail website and you were looking to rank on the organic listings via SEO for keywords such as Arsenal shirt, Manchester United kit, Arsenal kit or Chelsea shirt then you would want to run a PPC campaign on these keywords first and see how many click through’s this generates you and then you can focus your SEO around the best performing keywords.
SEO is certainly the main way to generate good long term traffic but PPC also has some superb benefits and can also potentially increase your online traffic significantly if the right strategy is utilised.